- 3 or 4 large ripe tomatoes- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices of crusted bread
- 1 clove garlic
- juice ½ of one lemon
- olive oil
- 1 handful arugula
- 3 or 4 springs of fresh tarragon, leaves picked
- springs of fresh herby fennel top
- 2 or 3 springs of fresh mint, leaves picked
- 2 good handfuls of fresh mixed herbs (ex. Mix of basil, parley and dill)
- crumbled goat cheese
Chop up the tomatoes and place in a bowl. Add a good glug of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Mix together.
Toast the bread slices on a hot griddle or in the toaster (in the summer I like to grill the bread on the BBQ but for now, I just use the toaster). Once the bread is nicely toasted, gently rub the clove of garlic over the bread to lightly flavour.
To make the dressing, whisk the lemon juice with 3 times the amount of olive oil. Season with salt and fresh black pepper. Toss in the arugula, fennel tops and and mixed herbs.
Put a heap of the tomatoes on top of each slice of toasted bread. Press the tomatoes into the bread. Place a good pile of the herb-arugula salad on top and finish of with some crumbled goat cheese.