Monday, August 30, 2010

More than just a paper doll

A few years ago, my grand-mother came to me with a small worn yellow cardboard box. She handed it to me and smiled. I didn’t know what to expect but it was to my greatest delight that I discovered little cardboard girls with an abundance of colourful paper cloths and accessories.  She then explained to me that she had received these as a child, 7 or 8 years old, and had preciously conserved them all these years. That makes the treasure around 75 years old. She then explained that these paper figurines weren’t just any characters. Five young girls in different poses. They were the Dionne quintuplets. The first set of quintuplets to ever be born and all survive in Canada. Born in 1934, Annette, Cécile, Émilie, Marie and Yvonne quickly became famous.



www.francisdionne.qc.ca/histoire/jumelles.gif  

I immediately fell in love with the 5 sister paper figurines and knew that I wanted to make a special place for them. I placed the 5 girls as well as their 6 sets of cloths behind glass so that I could expose them for everyone to see. This is by far my favourite frame.




                                                        Anette

                                                            Cécile

                                                            Emilie

                                                                Marie

                                                            Yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...