Monday, August 9, 2010

It’s Party Time!

Yesterday was my sister’s hubby’s birthday. No, I wasn’t assigned to baking the cake…. but to come up with an appetizer and a fun little cocktail to go with. This is what I whipped up, with a little help from my good friend Martha.

For the cocktail: Cherry Bomb


I got this recipe from the Martha Stewart website.  www.marthastewart.com/recipe/cherry-bombs

I put my own little twist on the recipe.

-    1 cup of grenadine syrup
-    2 cups of boiling water
-    bottle of fruit sparkling water (I chose peach)
-    fresh raspberries

1. Mix the 2 cups of boiling water with 1 cup of grenadine syrup. Pour mixture into ice-cube trays and freeze until solid.

2.Put grenadine ice-cubes in a glass and fill with the sparkling peach water.

3. Garnish with the fresh raspberries.

Voila!!! A simple yet fun and tasty drink!



For the appetizer : Caramalized onion tarte with olives


I also got this recipe from the Martha Stewart website.
www.marthastewart.com/recipe/caramelized-onion-tart-with-olives


 I also put my personal little twist on the recipe.

-1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 big white spanish onion, finley slicced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (I bought the Tenderflake brand and it worked very well)
- 1/4 cup of black olives (pitted), cut in 4 lengthwise

1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. In a skillet, melt butter and olive oil. Add onions and thyme, and cook until onions are golden and soft. I cooked the onions on fairly low heat for about 30 minutes.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry until it is about ¼ inch thick. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, transfer to oven, and immediately reduce oven to 400. Bake until pastry begins to rise, about 12 minutes.

4. Remove the partly baked puff pastry and place the onions in a thin layer. Springkle the black olives on top and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. The time may vary but you know it’s done when the puff pastry in golden-brown and crisp looking.

5. Cut into pieces and serve while still hot!

 Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm! I wish I would have been there to enjoy that! You and your creative ideas! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...