- 1 big red onion
- fresh ground black pepper
- white wine vinegar
- 1 romaine lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 1 boston lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 100 g of blue cheese, I used Roquefort
- a good handful of walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fatty yogurt (it called for crème fraîche but I couldn’t find any)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Slice the onion as thinly as possible. I used a mandolin in order to get the thin slices I wanted. Place the onion slices in a bowl and season with a generous pinch of salt. Pour the white wine vinegar over the onions, just enough to cover. Let marinate at least 10 minutes.
To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, yogurt and red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Remove the onions from the vinegar and squeeze with your hands until there is no more liquid left.
Place the lettuce leaves on a plate, alternating the two different kinds. Sprinkle the onions over the lettuce and crumble over the blue cheese. Scatter over the walnuts. Drizzle with the creamy dressing at the last minute.
Original recipe for Jamie Oliver