Monday, September 6, 2010

Tiny Yellow Plum Jam

My dad came home with a big bag of these tiny yellow plums. Home grown by one of his friends who, as a hobby, has many different fruit trees at his home.  At first sight I thought that they were yellow cherries but no, sure enough they were plums. Small, sweet and perfectly ripe.

I looked up a few jam recipes and all of them called for the same amount of sugar as fruit. The plums that I used were perfectly ripe and oh so sweet so I decided to use dramatically less sugar. From past experience, I find that cooked jams that use so much sugar are too thick to my liking. I put less than half of the sugar that was called for and the results came out perfectly. Just thick and sweet enough! 



- 4 lbs of plums
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cups of sugar

-    Wash, cut in half and remove the pits form the plums.
-    Place the halved plums in a pot with the water.
-    Cook on low heat until the plums are nice and soft, about 40 minutes.
-    Add the sugar and cook until the liquid thickens, about 1 hour.




                     Sinfully delightful on toasted crusted bread with butter!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...